Settling on Octopress

A while back, I ditched Mephisto in favor of a static site generator I’d written in Perl (WWW::StaticBlog). When setting up a new laptop, and preparing to write a new post, I discovered that one of its dependencies (Text::Multi) is no longer on CPAN. In my haste to set something up I ended up deploying a new version of the site using nanoc, before fully working out the kinks. Turns out that nanoc doesn’t really support having pygments output line numbers in the “table” format, and working on fixing this was more work than I was willing to put in when there are many alternatives out there.

When I was looking around at static site generators, I’d also run across Octopress, and was initially turned off of it because of the instructions for bootstrapping and updating encourage users to fork the upstream repository, and build their site directly in the fork. I would have expected (and still would like) something more along the lines of how Ruby on Rails handles this with octopress new site creating a site directory with all of the skeleton files in there.

The handling of syntax highlighting code blocks is handles well enough that I’m willing to live with throwing the code directly in the Octopress repository (as long as I keep reminding myself that Octopress is just a set of Jekyll filters/plugins and a default theme), especially since I’m comfortable enough working with repositories with multiple remotes.

So…if you’ve noticed the RSS feed seeming to “reset”, it’s because of the WWW::StaticBlog to nanoc to Octopress migrations that the site has been going through, and this should be the last reset for a while.